megapixel

Sometimes I think I think too much...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Moral Dilemma

okay, here's a moral dilemma for you to chime in on. Just pretend your'e Dr. Laura or whatever...

Company A hires Employee B to do sales, in her own home at her own pace. She is not getting a salary, but rather a commission when she does a sale. In the beginning B does her job contacting people on her list and introducing herself to potential new customers.
When she doesnt get orders immediately, she loses interest, and then stops working.
She doesnt want to follow up with her contacts, claiming it is not important even thought Boss C at Company A tells her this is what needs to be done.

2 months pass with nary an order in sight, and she finally says "I retire, this job is not for me"
Boss C says, "okay, so send back the lists you worked from, and I will get someone else to follow up with these people."

1 weeks passes, and lo and behold, one of the people on B's list call and place a rather large order.

The Dilemma :

Does Company A need to give ex-Employee B a commission on this sale?

a-She left the company so she is officially gone. (when an employee leaves, they forfeit any customers they may have brought to the company)
b-This order came about entirely thru her.
c- she will never know she brought in an order.

My thoughts:
I think gone is gone- when she walked out the door, it was officially over.
However, if I were her, I might think I am entitled to the commission.

what do y'all think?

3 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Blogger almost_frei said...

"I retire, this job is not for me"

she is gone period... I do not even understand the dilemma

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Independent Frum Thinker said...

I think a Rav should be contacted. It is not a simple question.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ift- why do you say that?
everyone i talked to about this said she is out, there is no question. Please clarify what you said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter