megapixel

Sometimes I think I think too much...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The LIPA Affair (not that kind of affair)

I LOVE LIPA. (not that way)

I think he's very talented. and he is fresh stuff, after all the old, typical Jewish songs (low part, low part, high part, high part, some fancy music, yay, its a song!)
He's FUN! and Geshmak! and you have to smile when you see him in action on his little videos. He is full of lebidigness and Simchas Hachaim, something we can all use.
In addition every single one of his songs has a POSITIVE message and if you listen to the lyrics, they are full of yiras shomayim and beauty of yiddishkeit.
I have two teenage sons, and believe me, with all the stuff out there (even in the Judaic stores) I am very happy when they listen to Lipa.



The article about the concert ban, and Lipa pulling out, on yeshivaworld.com garnered 330 comments last I checked. most praising him for backing out. I respect him, but tuchis oifen tish - what kind of choice did he have? If he didnt his career would be ruined, he'd be an oisvarf.
Despite being strongarmed and basically blackmailed, he was very gracious about it in the message he gave on that website.

And what do people have against him, and what was the reason for the ban? I still havent heard one good one, and I read thru alot of the comments and articles.
This upsets me. Not because I am personally affected, cuz I cant afford these concerts, so I never go anyway.
1- people think he's a little over the top, and to that I say - GO LIPA! and everyone else take a chill pill. Its time to stop taking ourselves so seriously.

2- people have a problem with him using goyish tunes.
so, why hit on him? this is nothing new. MBD has done it, and Country Yossie- all his songs were originally goyish songs.and many others as well. ABI MELEIBT is great - and it's a really old song that was pretty kosher when it started out, not like one of today's trashy songs. So why hassle HIM?
Show me one kid whose yidishkeit has been damaged by Lipa. I dont think that kid exists.

I think that banning a concert so close to the date,without even trying to negotiate with the organizers ( who, according to what I read, were trying to make it a very kosher event - sep. seating only, no intermission, etc.)
sounds really fishy. According to what I read they didnt know about the ban until it was published in the paper, when everyone else found out. It sounds as though they were judged without having a chance to present their side of the story- which is just WRONG.

I dont know who signed this ban, cuz I never saw it.

All I can say, is that I hope that there is some reason that they have for doing this that they are privy to, that I dont know about. Because the reasons I mentioned above seem very flimsy for such drastic action.

Maybe (hopefully) there are some rabbanim out there who listen to both sides of the story before making a psak, and maybe (hopefully) there are some rabanim who look into the story themselves and are not making a psak based on the rantings of some fanatic with an agenda, or some warped rebetzin with misinformation.

Finally, there is the issue of banning stuff constantly, and taking away kosher outlets for kids. Eventually, there will be nothing left for kids to do,and they will be forced to hang out in the woods of the Catskills, drugging and doing who knows what with Bais Yakov girls.

6 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger almost_frei said...

agree... agree... agree...

Now what? no one is listening. The reason these rabbis banned this

(if they even did. I have my suspicions that the ban was publicized before they signed on.. but that's another story)

is the same reason they insist that we push just learning on every boy.

Even if they know that most boys can't handle just learning, they do it because 'if we don't stress just learning, there might be a bright boy who can become a big gadol but if there are other options, he might not stay only in learning'.

This is the most damaging aspect of the post R Kotler era. He is somewhat responsible for the churban we are seeing with kids at risk.

Similarly the thinking goes; if we prevent even one kid from from going off, the ban on all concerts for everyone is worth it.

What a mess we have gotten into!
As the saying goes...We have the 'gedolim' we deserve.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Yeah....hurrah

Score another 2 points for the Taliban with Matzoballs..

 
At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.Thats right .From now on we're going to listen to Almost Frei ,Semgirl and all the other chacomim & tzadikim found in such abundance on the blog world.Then the problems of kids at risk and everything else will go away and we will raise a generation of true Bnei Aliyah only

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right. better than that.. we will all listen to chachomim like you! you are just a cool-ade drinking lamb...

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here's the ban

Now knowing who signed it, do you still stand by what you said? Concidering that it was signed by some of the biggies in the yeshivishe world, those are pretty strong words coming from a Lakewooder (you have mentioned in the past you're from Lakewood, haven't you?) such as:
which is just WRONG
Maybe...there are some rabbanim...who listen to both sides of the story

Well, we live in shocking times. Such as this article regarding gedolim coming from an Agudist.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I disagree...
I've never felt comfortable at these concerts.
I remember as a teen going to the nerdy brooklyn College concerts was just an excuse to let loose and look at girls.
I was at a concert last year and I was flabbergasted at the behavior of teenagers there.
And no, without those concerts I would not be going out of mind looking for something crazy to do.
You underestimate our teens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter