megapixel

Sometimes I think I think too much...

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I had a little debate with my son's (8th grade) teacher at PTA.

He puts way more emphasis on Math, and History is a side thing.

So my son did okay in math, and got a 65% on a history test (aagh) but he was like, well he passed, and it's not as important as math, and he did okay there, so I'm happy.

I think Math is important, but in a way I think History is more important for these yeshiva kids to learn.here's my reasoning:

a- knowledge of history makes you more of a well rounded person.
b- Everything in life has a different meaning when looked at in the perspective of history, and if you have no knowledge of history, you just have a different perspective on things which is not as clear.
c- Math - lets face it, there's calculators.
d- whatever my son ends up doing, that is, if he is not the next gadol hador, he'll learn what math he needs at that point. And what he learns now in eight grade is not going to help him for that future need.

SO that is my opinion. Although maybe perhaps slightly tainted by the fact that I always hated math and loved history.

I wonder if most people agree with me or not?

4 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger almost_frei said...

Hey Meg... ever get frustrated that you have so few comments? You write interesting stuff... and ask good questions.. i just dont get it. anyhow, be assured we are out there reading.

I think history is as important as math, unless it is taught like math, cut and dry.

The teacher (who thinks it is not that important)obviously wont go into any part of history and make it real for the kids, so why waste their time with a bunch of dates and who killed who?

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also always loved history and hated math.Nontheless since I'm currently an accountant I can say that a lot of my current knack for math despite my high school hating it due to being conditioned and discplined a certain way.That type of conditioning can't be learnt through calculators.Despite the importance of history to view the world in perspective math still wins outin practical use.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

goodness..
I'm the same way
I Love history..I cant get enough.
I come back from the library with piles of history and biography books...
On the other hand.
I can't even do division for the life of me.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

af--yeah. sometimes I feel like shutting the thing down, thinking no one is out there. but then I just write something cuz I want to. I would like to have a spirited, interesting exchange of opinions. but I see alot of blogs that get lots of comments get dumb comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter