megapixel

Sometimes I think I think too much...

Monday, August 20, 2007

On the lighter side, I have always been fascinated with names.
Why did someone choose a particular name for their child? who are they named after? what does the name mean? how do some of these ugly names get started? what about celebrities who feel the need to name their kids "Apple" or "Moon Unit"? I can understand the desire to name a kid with a sort of unique name,(there are so many Moishies and Rivkies) but it shouldnt be strange. Like Savannah, which is a little different, but its pretty.
There was a story in the news last week about a chinese couple that wanted to name their kid @. The govt didnt allow. and a New Zealand couple wanted to name their son 4real, but the govt didnt let. They named him officially Superman, (that they let!) but they call him 4real anyway.
Should the govt have a say?
The strangest name I know is a girl named Esther Gedillah. And of course they call her, not Esti, but Esther Gedillah.
How about in laws and parents that fight with new parents over naming a baby? I can think of so many fights and disagreements that have come about over this issue.
I believe that young couples should definitely keep in mind family names, and what their parents may desire, but ultimately it should be their choice. After all, if I am going to carry the baby, give birth, wake up every two hours to feed it, and pay tuition for the next 20 years, shouldnt I at least get to choose the kid's NAME?
what is the strangest name you've heard? How do you choose names? Have you ever fought over a name?
what about last names? History and stuff are in names. Share!

5 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Mega. Shvacheh topic.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger megapixel said...

come on yated, try again.
One of my favorite topics. I dont know why

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is well known that the Chazon Ish said that a person must take into account how the child itself will feel about the name as they grow up.

From my experience most people with weird manes are slightly weord themselves but perhaps thats because only weird parents give outrageous names.

A major factor when I name a child is how certain living relitives will react.Knowing that some grandmother will be majorly offended and hurt that no one is being named after her husband would defintly be a major reason for me to name my son after him provided the name isn't unusual.If it is I would try to find some sort of variation to keep her happy.

The main person who has to like the name is the child itself ,then the parents, but still one can not ignore others completely when making the decision.

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mega,

Please delete my last comment or at least the second paragraph.I don't want to offend those who think their names are weird.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

not at all shvach...

A name is a very powerful force in a persons life..according to Kabbalistic sources..

Personally I like to give family names..to connect with previous generations like that..not just to honor them..but also to give my children a feeling of being part of something bigger....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter