megapixel

Sometimes I think I think too much...

Friday, August 03, 2007

SO who thinks this is obnoxious? Sarah was in the shoe store buying her little daughter shoes, and lo and behold she met Esther, a woman she was associated with when she was in high school.(whom she never really liked and was not happy to see) Hi! How are you? What are you doing these days? Where do you live? Oh, the same apartment? You havent outgrown it yet? Remember my daughter, Leah? Yeah, she just bought a townhouse. So what I am trying to say is, I dont think Esther is a malicious person, but she is definitely guilty of NOT THINKING!! In one short conversation she managed: to be a pushy nosey yenta, two gezunta potentially hurtful statements. "You havent outgrown it yet" like that could really be hurtful to some people, implying that they only have two kids, whatever. "MY daughter just bought a townhouse" I know she may be proud of her daughter but there is no need to rub it in someone's face who is still living in an apartment and a sensitive thinking person might presume that they are unable to afford a house. Years ago a guy walked into my house and said, "hey how come you guys are married X years, and only have two kids?" Some people might find that very hurtful. Anyway, people should think a little bit before they mouth off. that's all.

3 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this woman is insesitive and obnoxious. Somw people wake up every morning in a room full of mirrors.
Unfortunately this is an everyday life situation that we have to deal with.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I hate that...
I'm sooo sensitive to that...that even if I know my friend is expecting a baby...I wont follow up with..any questions later on..just case there was a miscarriage...
That might be to an extreme...but I'm just naturally sensitive like that

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mega,

Thank you very,very,very much for bringing out this point.As someone who is married for many years (with only one child)I can say that it really hurts when old acquantices say (sometimes in a condesending tone of voice also)'Oh.You still live in an apartment?!?'

I've been told by freind in my situation that other kids make fun of their kids in schooll for living in an apartment.Although I can't afford itwhen my kid gets older I'll probaly have to move anyhow.(somehow I don't think me or my wifes bosses will give raises for the occaision)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter